There truly is a day for everything – for example, today is Blog Day:
In one long moment In August 31st, bloggers from all over the world will post a recommendation of 5 new Blogs, Preferably, Blogs different from their own culture, point of view and attitude. On this day, blog surfers will find themselves leaping and discovering new, unknown Blogs, celebrating the discovery of new people and new bloggers.
I don’t know that I have five *new* blogs to recommend. How about five blogs I think are good, covering five different topics that interest me?
- Bitch Ph.D.: A great feminist blog. I don’t always agree with what she has to say, but isn’t that half the point? She makes me stop and think, and I generally get my news and updates on things like Plan B and birth control issues (the political kind). Also, she has some great info on how bras should fit.
- The CrochetMe Blog: News and updates on this great crochet web-zine, which was one of the things that got me really, truly into crochet. There were cool people out there doing it! With cool websites! And patterns for cool, modern things that were actually cool and modern, not someone’s idea of what cool and modern might be (please, there is nothing cool about fun fur when you are over the age of 15). Also posts on other random interesting and fun things that strike Kim’s (the editor) fancy.
- Fig & Plum: Sure, you knit and read blogs, so you read Grumperina and Yarn Harlot. But do you read Fig & Plum? Jess is a very cool gal in NYC who knits gorgeous stuff and is going to make a kickass lawyer. Go. Search the archives for Norwegian Stockings. Or Lady Eleanor. Don’t you just hate her, in that “I love you” sort of way?
- Libraian In Black: The intersection of technology and libraries. (A lovely place, if you ask me.) Sarah Hougton-Jan posts all kinds of interesting tidbits on all kinds of stuff. Monster laptop covers? Free 411? Go, take a look.
- Cupcake Bakeshop: Delicious gourmet cupcake recipes photographed so well it makes me hungry. Someday when I can afford to buy better baking equipment and ingredients, I shall make some of these recipes. And if you’re nice to me, you will be invited over to partake.