I know for a fact that a few of you who read this have traveled outside of the country, unlike me. I’d like to solicit your advice regarding my trip to London with Mom in August. Specifically, here’s the sort of info I’d like:
- I want to blend in. I already know: no jeans, fanny packs or white American sneakers. Do you have recommendations regarding travel books or websites that I should look at for more of this kind of info?
- My Mom is booking a lot of tours/excursions while we’re there (like, a thing each day). I am particularly interested in putting together a list of not-for-tourists, hit-and-run type stuff. Parks, shops, districts, streets, historic buildings, libraries (yep), yarn stores (uh-huh), cafes, restaurants, etc. The sorts of things you can do anytime, like after a half-day tour or whatever. Any good books or websites? If you have been there, recommendations for places to eat will be especially welcome.
- I was looking through a travel stuff catalog that the tour company sent with the confirmation package. In London, will I really need to wear one of those waist packs to stash valuables in or will a purse/day pack (not a backpack) suffice? I know I won’t want to leave my passport in the hotel, but I’d prefer to be able to put it in my bag rather than strap it to my midsection. If you do think I should get one of those, what’s your recommendation for brands or features to look out for?
- What’s your strategy for paying for things while you travel? I’m thinking I’ll find out from my credit card companies what their deal is for international use. (I know sometimes they charge hefty conversion fees.) I’m not much of one for carrying lots of cash, and since I am traveling with Mom I won’t have to worry about splitting the bill all the time.
- Anything else you think I should know about London would be great. 🙂
If you’ve got a lot to say, you can email me (spinstah at gmail dot com) or chat with me (allykathrn on AIM). Or chat with me in actual life if possible. 🙂