So, the open house that I’ve been planning to mark the end of construction at my library is on Friday. As in, a couple of days from now. Yikes. I think that everything is under control, but I keep thinking of little things that I need to get done. Like last night, it occurred to me that we’re having a raffle . . . and we have no raffle tickets. I’m getting them tomorrow, so it’s not a crisis, but still. What else will come up? I’m also still getting ideas from my coworkers, which is great except for the part where I’m out of time and energy to add anything to the day. There’s enough happening already. I’m trying to stop adding things in order to free up brain space to think up the things that I need to take care of for the stuff that’s already happening.
The open house is for the campus communities that we serve, but is also open to the public (much like we are at pretty much any time, except finals and for some phases of the construction). I’m hoping that some local librarians will stop by as well – we sent an announcement out over the MD Library Association listserv, so we’ll see what happens. I have blanketed the campuses with the information as best I can (and yet today we still got a complaint from someone who said she hadn’t seen anything–can’t win ’em all). We’re going to have snacks, of course, including both a sheet cake and a bunch of mini cupcakes (that was really a compromise between me & the director). The press is coming — we’ll have someone from the Catholic Review, and possibly a reporter from the Chronicle and one from the Sun. (I could link but you could Google, so we’re even.)
Anyway, for the curious, here’s what’s happening at the open house:
Loyola/Notre Dame Library Community Open House
Friday, September 12
11:00 am – 6:00 pm
- Archives & Special Collections and the Digital Media Lab will be open all day.
- Raffle winners will be pulled at noon, 2pm and 4pm. Win some Loyola or Notre Dame swag!
- An exhibit of photos of LNDL through the years.
- 11:00: A reading from Tolkien by Sue Abromaitis, Loyola Professor of English
- 11:30: A discussion with artists Kevin Raines of Notre Dame and Mary Beth Akre of Loyola
- 12:00: Behind-the-scenes tour with Senior Cataloging Assistant Polly Connor
- 12:30: Demo: Photosharing with Flickr, presented by Public Relations & Instruction Librarian Alison Cody
- 1:00: Lunchtime Literary Trivia
- 2:00: “The Future of Libraries,” a talk by Library Director John McGinty
- 2:30: Behind-the-scenes tour with Public Relations & Instruction Librarian Alison Cody
- 3:00: A performance by Notre Dame’s Concert Choir
- 3:30: Demo: Quick & Easy Course Pages, presented by Instruction Librarian John Breitmeyer
- 4:30: Demo: Library Thing, presented by Instruction Librarian Julie Nanavati
- 5:15: Behind-the-scenes tour with Head of Research & Instruction Joanne Hélouvry
Clearly I will make it through the day fueled by cake and caffeine.