PJ Pants

Here’s a little break from all the food posts. This weekend I finally had some time to get going on a sewing project that I’ve been looking forward to — a pair of pajama pants. I used Kwik-Sew 2662, which includes markings for shorts that I’ll be sure to do in the spring. I chose a fun black and white cotton fabric: Jane’s Hothouse Garden from Westminster Fabrics.

The pattern was quite easy, and included a couple of new things for me — pockets (not that hard, but something new nonetheless) and sewing on elastic, which was a little tricky until I figured out a method. The inside bottom edge of the waistband isn’t finished, but I decided that since I used pinking shears to cut out the pieces, it’d be fine. (I should also admit that I didn’t feel like sewing over the elastic for a third time, which seemed to be what the pattern was calling for.)

I once again ran into weird sizing problems, but I was able to address them ahead of time. When I took the measurements for the pants, I got three different sizes: large for the waist, medium for the back waist (the measurement from your waist down your butt to the inseam) and small for the hips. After some thinking and comparison to another pair of PJ pants, I decided to split the difference and go with medium. While figuring this out, I noticed that the portion of the pattern pieces above the inseam was much longer than my comparison pants. Before I started cutting out the pattern pieces, I stood up and compared the length of the pants to myself, and discovered that the top of the pattern piece came up way above my waist, and almost to my bustline. Once again comparing to an existing pair of pants, I decided to cut the waist down by 3 3/8″. I figured that this should still leave me with enough for the elastic waistband, and if not I could just add on a waistband. I should also note that I used a slightly thinner elastic than was called for — 1″ instead of 1 1/2″. (Thanks again, Heather!)

In the end it worked out quite well — the pants come up to a comfortable height on me (especially given that I tend to wear my pants low).

This was a pretty quick and easy project overall — I think it took me about 4.5 hours over two days, and that includes the time spent ironing the fabric after it was washed (on my dorm-sized ironing board), figuring out how to adjust the pattern, crawling around on the floor cutting pieces out, shooing Coco away from the sewing machine and fiddling around with the elastic while getting used to working with it. Next time around I think it will be even faster.

Advertisements