- Gideon the Ninth, Tamsyn Muir: Wizards in space, but make it spooky.
- The Lager Queen of Minnesota, Ryan J. Stradal: Women brewing beer, what’s not to like?
- Big Machine, Victor LaValle: The concept was really interesting, but the main action of the novel wasn’t clear enough until way to far into things.
- Motherless Brooklyn, Jonathan Lethem: Teenage rejects working for a small-time mob boss.
- Big Friendship, Aminatou Sow & Ann Friedman: A memoir about a deep friendship, but also so much more.
- Beneath the Rising, Premee Mohamed: This was a weird book for me. Apparently I enjoyed it, but I kept forgetting what it was about every night when I picked it up, and I have no idea now.
- The Vanishing Half, Brit Bennett: Really compelling story about twins who take two very different paths in life, and their daughters.
- Akata Witch, Nnedi Okorafor: Teenagers discovering their magic powers in Nigeria.
If you only read two, pick up The Vanishing Half and Big Friendship.