- Red, White & Royal Blue, Casey McQuiston: Please tell me someone has optioned the film rights to this. Delightful! (Defintiely rated R though.)
- Girl, Woman, Other, Bernardine Evaristo: A really wonderful book of interlocking short stories.
- Lightspeed Magazine Special Issue: Women Destroy Science Fiction!: I skipped some of the interviews and non-story stuff, but this was fun to work my way through.
- The Grammarians, Cathleen Schine:
- Mexican Gothic, Silvia Moreno-Garcia: Jane Eyre and 50s glam in Mexico, what’s not to like? This was fantastic.
- The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, N.K. Jemisin: I went into this expecting to love it, and did not. Even once I got into it there was a little more politicking than I care for in my fiction.
- Disappearing Earth, Julia Phillips: I think if you go into this ready to read some interlocking short stories, you’ll enjoy it more than I did.
If you only read one, make it Mexican Gothic.