Hats are supposed to be one of those “quick and easy” knits, aren’t they? They sure are super fast to crochet. So why have I been struggling so much with the two that I have been working on? It’s the crown decreases that keep getting to me (yes, even with the Yarn Harlot’s helpful instructions in Knitting Rules, which did not quite work out for me). In any case, one is done, and I will post the pattern this week (hopefully during which time I can get some good pictures). The other should also be done in the next couple of days. If it does not fit (this is the Gentleman Caller’s Hat, Take Two), we will have to have The Talk before I commit to re-knitting it for again. I am really, really, really itching to cast on for armwarmers and to take a crack at socks. And swatch for my sweater. And finish Lady E. And be done with these blasted hats.
I hope you all had a lovely holiday if you celebrate it. I will have some photos from home up on Flickr in the next day or so; despite having a new cable modem brought over by Comcast while I was away, the connection is still slow and wonky and drops a lot. Comcast is telling my roommate it’s the router. I maintain that it is Comcast and my roommate thinks that it is the cables coming into the house. Who knows. Roommate number three is apparently not having any problems with his connectino now that we have a new cable modem, but that is hearsay so who knows.
Anyway, I gave the Gentleman Caller his hat last night. This was my first ever knitted hat (I have crocheted plenty, but prefer how knit hats look) and there were some bumps along the way. Like randomly starting to knit in the wrong direction and deacreases that didn’t line up into the star pattern because I cannot count. (Luckily, these details do not matter when the man is over six feet tall and the hat is black.) Now, the GC is a big dude with a large noggin, and for a while I was afraid that the hat would not fit. But after I finished and measured and compared, I decided that it would. Whew!
Get this. It’s too big.
I was not surprised that it was too long — I added some length to it. I am surprised that it is too loose. I didn’t bother last night when I gave it to him, but hopefully this weekend I can see the GC and have a little fitting to take some measurements, and then I can rejigger the pattern. Oh well.
Guess what I cast on for the other night.
Lady Eleanor! Finally. I’m excited to be working on this project, and I enjoy it. I’m finding that the entrelac pattern is pretty easy to remember so far (well, except for what I am supposed to do for the triangles on each side) and is not boring.
This is Noro Silk Garden in colorway 246. The colors are gorgeous, and the Silk Garden’s long color changes really lend themselves to this project. But I’m not sure how I feel about this yarn otherwise. I’ve used one ball of my ten so far, and while I didn’t run into the usual “organic matter” (bits of grass and hay) that we usually think of with some of the Noro yarns, I’m finding that this is unevenly spun. In some places it is practically unspun, and I’m working with something akin to Malabrigo. In other places it is overspun and is really small. That’s annoying for this project, as it is affecting some of the seams and making them look wonky. But, I keep reminding myself it is not a huge issue. As I’ve said before, a great side effect of knitting is that it forces me to be less of a perfectionist.
The current traveling project is an inch of the Gentleman Caller’s watchcap. I just finished off this ball of Silk Garden tonight, so the rest of tonight’s knitting will be focused on said hat. I have a lot of 2×1 ribbing to get through.